Southwest General is proud to announce that its new Cosgrove Maternity Center in Middleburg Heights has received licensure from the Ohio Department of Health as a Level II Neonatal & Maternity Care Program. This designation makes the Cosgrove Maternity Center the only Level II facility serving southwestern Cuyahoga & northern Medina Counties.
Expanding upon Level I abilities, Level II accreditation adds a higher level of care for moms and babies including:
- Care for appropriate moderate to high-risk antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum conditions
- Elevated maternity services from Level I (35+ weeks of pregnancy) to Level II (32+ weeks of pregnancy)
- Broader neonatal care for babies who:
– Are born up to eight weeks premature (at or after 32 weeks gestation)
– Weigh at least 3.3 pounds (1500 grams)
– Need special care for temporary breathing problems, feeding issues, jaundice, low blood sugar or other complications
– These infants will receive care in the Cosgrove Maternity Center’s Level II Special Care Nursery
- 24/7 access to a team of specialists experienced in maternity and newborn care
“For generations, families have trusted us with their care during one of the most exciting times of their lives—becoming new parents,” said William A. Young, Jr., president & chief executive officer, Southwest General. “Now, families-to-be can rest easier knowing that our Level II Cosgrove Maternity Center will provide them with easy access to a higher level of newborn and maternity care from an experienced team of skilled nurses, obstetricians and specialists including board-certified neonatologists, neonatal nurse practitioners, anesthesiologists, respiratory therapists and others.”
“At our Level II facility, women can feel confident that they and their newborn will receive high-quality care, even when circumstances for higher-level resources are needed,” said Young.
Should additional needs present, Southwest General will work closely with its partner, University Hospitals, to stabilize and transfer mom and baby.
The new Cosgrove Maternity Center at Southwest General is the result of a recently completed multimillion-dollar expansion and renovation project. In addition to offering Level II care, the Center is designed to support an exceptional birth experience and features:
- 10 labor and delivery suites including two hydrotherapy suites for labor
- 19 postpartum suites
- State-of-the-art operating rooms for Cesarean section (C-section) deliveries
- A Well-Baby Nursery (in addition to the Level II Special Care Nursery)
- Family-friendly visitor waiting areas and support spaces
“We have truly thought of everything in the new Center,” adds Young. “Not only have we elevated our level of care but also the Center has been designed with the comforts of home in mind—including soft, soothing colors and nature-inspired artwork to help parents feel relaxed and promote an inviting atmosphere for mom and baby—all closer to home.”
The Cosgrove Maternity Center also offers a range of services designed to help parents before and after their baby is born, including childbirth and family life classes with convenient online options to accommodate busy lifestyles and/or safety restrictions.
Southwest General is a private, not-for-profit, 363-bed acute care facility located in Middleburg Heights. Founded in 1920, Southwest General is home to nationally recognized physicians with full access to state-of-the-art technology. Southwest General has a deep commitment to providing personalized care & building a healthy future for the patients, families & communities it serves.
*This article is sponsored by Southwest General.*