Apex Skin has opened their new headquarters in Mayfield Heights, which offers patients medical dermatology, skin cancer surgery, and aesthetic services. Patients can enjoy the convenience of having all their skin concerns taken care of in one state-of-the-art facility. The aesthetic clinic is beautiful with vibrant art from local artists, coffee and tea stations, and most importantly, the newest technologies to help patients achieve their skin and body goals.
Liz Sippey, PA-C tells us about the newest technologies and other big trends she’s seeing aesthetics right now.
What are the biggest trends in aesthetics right now?
While certain treatments have been around for a while now, the trends in how they’re used may differ from time to time based on what looks and features are popular.
1. Masseter Botox for facial slimming
Botox can be injected off-label into the masseter (muscle near the back of the jawline) to help relax the muscle and decrease its size with time.
“This is especially beneficial in patients that often find themselves clenching their jaw or grinding their teeth at night. This treatment can be combined with jawline filler for a more sculpted appearance of the lower face.”
2. Facial balancing with dermal filler injected in the chin, jawline, midface and lips
“The idea of facial balancing is to make the facial features more proportional. This treatment is completely unique to each individual as it is all about tailoring the results dictated by your features and aesthetic goals.”
Typically with this treatment, the areas receiving the filler will differ on each side of the face. If you have one cheek bone that is more prominent, for example, filler may be applied to the opposite to create a more even appearance.
3. Investing in a medical-grade skin care regimen that leaves a dewy or glowing finish
Medical grade skincare is regulated by the FDA to contain 99.9% pure ingredients to ensure safety and effectiveness. Unlike some over-the-counter skin care products, medical grade skincare is backed by scientific research.
“This trend to have dewy skin focuses more on skincare and less on makeup. This is typically achieved by layering of skincare products such as hyaluronic acid for hydration and vitamin C containing products for its brightening effects.”
Most often, to achieve this glowy look, you’ll need to have healthy skin. Therefore, the skincare regimen you use will be dictated by a dermatologist who can determine which products will help your unique skin type achieve the effects.
What new aesthetic technology does Apex offer?
We have recently purchased new devices for the launch of our aesthetic clinic that I am very excited about! We have invested in the best technology for both skincare as well as non-invasive body contouring.
Our newest devices include a Lumenis Laser, EmFace, EmSculpt NEO, CoolSculpting Elite as well as the newest RF microneedling device, Exion!
· Lumenis Stellar M22 Laser has multiple handpieces to address numerous skin concerns with minimal downtime. It includes an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) handpiece that can treat vascular issues (spider veins, rosacea) as well as pigmented lesions (sunspots, melasma). There is also a ResurFX handpiece that promotes collagen and elastin production, improving fine lines and the texture of the skin. multiple handpieces to address multiple skin concerns including an IPL for pigmentation and vascular issues with the skin.
· EmFace combines radiofrequency with electromagnetic stimulation to lift and tighten the facial skin by shortening muscle fibers and stimulating collagen and elastin.
· EmSculpt NEO uses similar technology to promote muscle growth, reduce fat cells and stimulate collagen and elastin to improve skin elasticity.
· CoolSculpting Elite is the newest CoolSculpting device that eliminates fat cells in half the time compared to older treatments. It is completely noninvasive, and you can treat multiple areas of the body at the same time.
· Exion is the newest radiofrequency microneedling device that combines RF to constrict and tighten the skin while stimulating collagen and elastin production. The device also has a face and body handpiece that combines monopolar radiofrequency and targeted ultrasound technology to stimulate hyaluronic acid production, improving skin laxity.
Do you have any treatments that aren’t new, but you still recommend?
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatments! I have been using PRP quite a bit lately.
“This is a treatment where we do a blood draw, spin the blood down, separating the blood into layers, where we take the top layer of PRP and can inject that along-side dermal filler for increased collagen production. We can apply it topically with microneedling for its growth factor benefits, which can lead to tissue regeneration or we can inject it into the scalp to promote hair growth.”
How do patients know which treatments are best for them?
“I know it is hard for patients to decipher which treatment is best for them because there is an overwhelming amount of information out there, but I recommend coming into one of our 14 locations for a consultation where we can take a comprehensive approach in deciding the best in-office and at-home regimen for you.”
What’s unique about your approach with your aesthetic patients?
I take a medical approach; I will not do treatments that I do not think will benefit the patient.
With that being said, I also feel like less is more when it comes to aesthetic medicine. I very much want patients to achieve natural results.
What advice do you give patients to follow in between their treatments with you?
“Get good sleep, drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day and use medical grade skincare. Wear an SPF daily, whether you are inside all day or not.”
Doing this will not only allow your skin to heal better so you achieve the best results possible, but it will also help you maintain a better quality of skin long after the treatment has been done.
Curious which of these aesthetic treatments are best for you? Schedule an appointment with us today to see which is the best fit for your skin goals!
For more information, visit: apexskin.com